Thursday, November 10, 2011

KENELM WINSLOW 1528-1607

Kenelm Winslow Cottage, Kerswell-on-the-Green, England, UK


Kenelm Winslow Cottage, Kerswell-on-the-Green, England


Kenelm Winslow Will
This appars from his will, dated 14th April and proved 9th Nov., 1607, extracted from the District Registry of Her Majesty's Court of Probate at Worcester.

'In the Name & feare of God Amen - the xiiiith daye of Aprill in the yere of our Lord 1607, I Kenelme Wynslowe of the cittye of Worcester, yeom, being of verye pfect memorye although sicke in bedye doe make & declare my last Will & Testamt . .

Item. i devise and appoint vs in money ro the pore of the prshe of St. Andrew wherein I dwell to be distributed by my wife or by her appointmt. And as touching my goods and chattells I will & appoint the custodye thereof (my funerall's discharged & my debts paide) to Katherine my very loving Wife whome I ordaine constitute & appoint to be my Sole Executrix of this my prnt Will & appointing & wishing her nott to alter the pptie thereof (things overworne excepted) wthout the consent of my ealdest Sonne whom I require to be a guide & comforter to her. And such of my household stuffe as she shall thinke well of. I license her to dispose of to such of my children 7 grandchildren as shall best please her and the same nott to be delivered until after her decease and then the same to be delivered to them as the guift & legasie as well of me to them as of my saide wife. These bein gWitness prnte att the publishing hereof by me - kenelme Wynslo - John Evayns - Edward Tovy + - Richard calwall his marke 'II.'

Proved at Worcester on the 9th day of November 1607 by Katherine the Relict of the deceased the sole Executrix.'

From W.S. Appleton's papers." 829

found on ancestry.com

biography
Notes for Kenelm Winslow"As to the parentage of the earlier Kenelm Winslow there is some uncertainty; he seems to have been named in honor of one Kenelm Bucke of Nash in the parish of Kempsey, who nuncupative will5, dated 20 August 1547 and proved in 1550, named a daughter Mary, to receive "such portion as his executor shall think necessary at his discretion." This Kenelm Bucke's son and heir was Francis Bucke, of Kempsey, whose will made in 1580 and proved the following year, was witnessed by John Winslow; in it the testator named his son John Bucke, supposedly he who bought Kereswell from Kenelm Winslow as stated above."1290


Details of a tentative English pedigree to be entered from John Hunt's article.1290, 1301


He owned Kereswell. 1290


He was "of Worcester. This Kenelm owned the considerable estate of Clerkenleap, and in 1559 bought Newport Place , another estate in Kempsey. He died in 1607, making a will on April 14th which was probated on November 9, 1607. In it he mentioned his wife Katherine and his children and grandchildren, without naming them." 565


"He is now thought to have been born about 1551; seemingly he is that Kenelm Winslow of the city of Worcester who was born about 1551 and died testate in 1607, his will called him of the parish of St. Andrew in Worcester and referring to his eldest son, other children, and grandchildren, but without naming them, and appointing his wife Katherine executrix.1290


Note, however, that the above supposition would have made him 9 years old when his son Edward was born. Another theory is that the Kenelm Winslow mentioned above was really a brother to Edward Winslow, not his father.322


"If we accept the evidence that Kenelm was the given name of Kenelm Winslow's maternal grandfather, then Kenelm was already a family name in the Winslow family. If Kenelm Winslow, born ca. 1551, and Edward Winslow, born 17 October 1560 (father of the colonists) were brothers, then Edward named a son Kenelm after his brother Kenelm or his grandfather Kenelm. He not only have a chronology that harmonizes with hitherto accepted data, but the colonist Edward becomes one generation closer to his relatives, the Grevilles".1302


"It has been suggested, but not proved, that he married Elizabet Foliot, daughter of John Foliot - see NEHGR 122:175-178". 256


It has also been suggested that he married Katherine ____.. 359


"Mr. William S. Appleton of Boston, who is a descendant of the first John Winslow in this country, of the seventh generation, informs me that during his recent visit to England, he saw at the Registry of Probate of Worcester in September last, the will of ' Kenelme Winslowe,' of the parish of St. Andrews, Worcester, dated April 14, 1607, proved November 9, 1607. He was evidently old, as his name is written in a weak and trembling hand. He appoints his wife Katherine sole executrix, and speaks of his children and grand children. He was a yeoman. Droitwich from which the New England Winslows emigrated is about 8 miles from Worcester, and it is probable that the above Kenelm Winslow was a relative, and possibly the grandfather of Gov. Edward Winslow and his brothers." 836


He was a "prosperous yeoman farmer from Kempsey". 838


"D. Kenelm Winslow, in Mayflower Heritage, identifies Thomas as Kenelm's father, on the basis of his study of parish registers, manorial records, land evidences, and the like. Hunt, for unstated reasons, apparently agreed. Details remain unpublished - a most unsatisfactory state of affairs." 1295


"In the Register, vol. 122, p. 175-178, July, 1968, facts were presented that tend to support the belief that the paternal grandmother of [Gov] Edward Winslow, Jr. (died in 1655) was Elizabeth (born in 1540), daughter of John Foliott (died in 1579), by his first wife, Eleanor Moore." More circumstances which buttress this theory were presented. 1303


"The following comments apply to George Wolkins' important paper, 'Edward Winslow (O.V. 1606-1611), King's Scholar and Printer' (Proceedings of the American Antiquarian Society, n.s., vol. 60, cited to TAG, supra, 43:42).


p. 239: Kenelm Winslow died in 1607 but not in Kempsey, it would appear. His residence was in St. Andrew's Parish of the City of Worcester and there is no evidence that he died elsewhere; his inventory also styles him 'late of the cittye of Worcester.' 1297


p. 240: The eminant antiquary of Worcestershire, Thomas Habington, showed that Kenelm Winslow bought Kerswell in Kempsey from Sir Richard Newport and sold it to Sir John Bucke, but neither of these men was a baronet. Such a style did not commence until 1611, four years after Winslow's death. So the assertion or inference that Winslow bought from one baronet and sold to another seems wrong". 1297


p. 253: . . . See the Churchwarden's Accounts of St. Michael in Bedwardine, Worcester (Worcestershire Historical Soceity, 1896, 54-57), wherein it is shown that in 1562 Kenelm Winslow held land in Clifton, parish of Severnstoke. Moreover, Marflower Heritage (p. 63), makes it appear that by 1621 Edward Winslow Sr. had retired to Clifton where a Winslow family property had existed for three generations." 1297


"Their grandfather, Kenelm Winslow, was surely a yeoman, as proved by the text of his last will, dated and proved at Worcester in 1607. . . . It seems fair to state that while Kenelm Winslow was a yeoman, his son Edward was a gentleman. . . . In 1562 Kenelm Winslow held land in Severnstoke, co. Worcester, near the Somers and Clifton families, whom he named in a deposition dated in 1605; Churchwardens' Accounts of St. Michael in Bedwardine, Worcester, Worcestershire Historical Society (1896), p. 54-57; Banks MSS, Rare Book Room, Library of Congress." 1291


"Kenelme Winslowe, of the parish of St. Andrew in the city of Worcester, England, died in 1607. He owned estates called 'Clerkenleap' and 'Newport's Place,' in Kempsey, near by. His will, which was daated 14 April, 1607, was proved 9 November of the same eyar, and is still to be seen in Worcester. In it he mentions his widow Katherine, and refers to his children and grandchildren without giving names. Will is given in Winslow Memorial, page 21." 464


p. 257 f.: it is needful to point out that the text of the will of Kenelm Winslow, dated in 1607, is copied by Mr. Wolkins in a curiously garbled state. The corrected text below shows by interlinings what is left out by Mr. Wolkins:

In the name & feare of God amen he xiiith daye of Aprill in the yeare of our Lord 1607, I kenelme Wynslow of the Cittye of Worcester yeom., being of very perfect memory altho sicke in bodye doe make & declare my lst will 7 testament in manner & forme following, vizt:ffirst I commend my soule to the eternal God and my body to the earth to be buryed in comely sort of buriall ater my decease,

Item: I devise & appt. v s. in money to the pore of the psh of St. Andrew parish wherein I dwell to be distributed by my wife or by her appt. And as touching my goods & chattells, I will 7 appoint the custody thereof (my funeral discharged and my debts paide) to Katherine my very loving wife whom I ordaine, constitute and point to be my sole executrix of this my present will, apppointing and wishing her not to alter the purpartie hereof (things over worne excepted) without the consent of my ealdest sonne whom I require to be a guide & comforter to her, and such of my house-house stuffe as she shall think well of I licenseher to dispose of to such of my children and grandchildren as shall best please her and the same nott to be delivered until after her decease and then the same to be delivered to them as the figt and legacie as well of me to them as of my said wife. These being witnesses present at the publishing hereof. by me:

Kenelme Winslo

John Swayne

Edward Tovy

Ric. Caldoe, his marke

(Proved at Worcester before Mr. Edward Archbould, surr., sworn by Katherine the relict, 9 November 1607).[This will is at the ofice of the Worcester Record Office, ref. 008.7-92-1607. The inventory total is 73 li., 13 sh., and 8 d. The item 'three opittes' in Mr. Wolkins' transcript (p. 258) should be 'three spittes.' It may be of some significance that of the three witnesses to the will, two were weavers, i.e. Edward Tovy (admin. of effects recorded in 1611 at worcester) and Richard Caldoe, both of the parish of St. Andrew aforesaid.]" 1297


"Kenelm Winslowof Kempsey, England, died, 1607, in the parish of St. Andrew, Worcester, England; m.Catherine.His estates were 'Ckerkenleap,' and 'Newport's Place.' - His will, which was dated 14 April 1607, was proved 9 November of the same year, and is still to be seen in Worcester." 829


"Kenelm Winslow, who acquired in some way the considerable estate of Clerkenleap, half way to Worcester, on the west side of the road, between it and the river, also bought of Sir Richard Newport, in 1559, 'New Port Place,' another estate in Kempsey. . . Later in life, this Kenelm Winslow removed to st. Andrew's parish, Worcester, where he died in 1607. leaving a widow Katherine and sons.This appars from his will, dated 14th April and proved 9th November, 1607, extracted from the District Registry of Her Majesty's Court of Probate at Worcester.

'In the Name & feare of God Amen - the xiiiith daye of Aprill in the yere of our Lord 1607, I Kenelme Wynslowe of the cittye of Worcester, yeom, being of verye pfect memorye although sicke in bedye doe make & declare my last Will & Testamt . .

Item. i devise and appoint vs in money ro the pore of the prshe of St. Andrew wherein I dwell to be distributed by my wife or by her appointmt. And as touching my goods and chattells I will & appoint the custodye thereof (my funerall's discharged & my debts paide) to Katherine my very loving Wife whome I ordaine constitute & appoint to be my Sole Executrix of this my prnt Will & appointing & wishing her nott to alter the pptie thereof (things overworne excepted) wthout the consent of my ealdest Sonne whom I require to be a guide & comforter to her. And such of my household stuffe as she shall thinke well of. I license her to dispose of to such of my children 7 grandchildren as shall best please her and the same nott to be delivered until after her decease and then the same to be delivered to them as the guift & legasie as well of me to them as of my saide wife. These bein gWitness prnte att the publishing hereof by me - kenelme Wynslo - John Evayns - Edward Tovy + - Richard calwall his marke 'II.'

Proved at Worcester on the 9th day of November 1607 by Katherine the Relict of the deceased the sole Executrix.

'From W.S. Appleton's papers." 829


He was said to have been " of an old Worcester County family from Droitwich, England (MD XXIX 122), which had existed in Worcestershire since before 1500 (BK 98)." 1299

found on ancestry.com

No comments:

Post a Comment